Warning: This post contains the description of unspeakable things, female body parts misused for baby feeding and there is even a picture of a BREAST. Naked. Really.
The holidays are finally coming to an end. We have done lots but nothing spectacular (unless you call a daily visit to the same playground spectacular). As we didn’t travel anywhere, we frequently pretended to be tourists and had lots of unhealthy food or healthy food in the pretend cafe at our dining table. (Can’t recommend this place, ridiculous prices, a single breadstick for £1!) We had stomach bugs, teething, eye tests, two visits to the fun fair and one immunisation which lead to multiple running away threats (a day later even). He would have taken his sister and initially the baby brother. But as this one needs to be breastfed he would have left him behind with the horrible mother that drags her children to nurses with needles. Which leads to today’s topic: the baby hat in the shape of a female breast or as others would call it: the booby beanie.
A dear friend of mine and midwife wants to learn knitting to be able to knit a booby beanie. As she wanted to present one in about a weeks time, I offered to knit one for her and let her learn knitting without the stress of a deadline.
I followed this pattern, written by Amanda Rundquist (she seems to focus on food now and I will definitely check out the website. That burger looks rather yummy, even at 8.30 in the morning (well, it is almost lunch time for me, I am up since a few hours).
I used some Rowan handknit cotton from my stash. I chose the yarn because it was the one that came closest to my own skin colour, but it looks a bit unhealthy, not enough red in it. However, I think it will be presented to a bunch of Japanese midwifes, so it might not be totally wrong, maybe a bit too pale.
I did see a few hats online that were white or light pink with a bright pink nipple. I guess these colours make the hat look cuter but I personally think if I choose to put a breast on the head of my baby than it is a statement. Tongue-in-cheek pro breastfeeding in public. So I think the more natural and realistic the better.
I altered the pattern slightly as I was comparing with my own reality. So the colour change is two rows later but I didn’t decrease down to 5 stitches for the I-cord and did a few rounds with 8 stitches instead to form the nipple.
I knitted the smaller size and didn’t do a tension square as it will only be used as a sample but it fitted the baby well enough to wear it for a picture 🙂