Since I am keeping up so well with Scrap Sunday, I thought I could introduce another type of themed posts: Maternity Monday where I want to show you all the lovely maternity items I have made for myself. (as of today: 2)
For all those of you who are now rolling their eyes or even laughing because they aren’t quite as impressed by my blogging consistency as I am myself, I would like to point out that your behaviour is rather rude and lacks any basis. Definitely. And besides, I never said, I would post every Sunday.
Back to Maternity Monday. Considering that I am already 28 weeks and that there might not be that many more pregnancies, I want to make garments that can easily be changed into normal clothes later.
You might remember the sleeveless top I made a few weeks ago. The neckline and the armholes weren’t great, I have since improved the neckline by stretching the band more but I am afraid, I will only redo the armholes once I open the side seams to alter it to a non maternity shirt.
Still thinking of making another one with narrower shoulder straps but not sure. After all, British summer doesn’t require a huge number of sleeveless tops. I just think they will be more easily changed back to normal than anything with sleeves.
So much for the update, but today I wanted to show you a skirt that I made for the baptism.
I had this lovely fabric that just called for bold pleats. I am normally not too much into orange (maybe lately a bit) or blue but I think this colour combination is just perfect to bring out my varicose veins in their full beauty.
mismeasured my “waistline” (somewhere under the bump), multiplied it by three, calculated how many 4cm pleats I could make out of it, added seam allowance, realised that I would just need twice the whole width of the fabric, cut the 1m fabric in half to get a 50cm long skirt and sew the two pieces on one side together.
I then started folding the fabric into boxed pleats and closed the second side up to almost the top. I finished off those 5cm of open edges by folding them in twice and top stitching. Then I tried it on again and realised that it was actually too wide. So I had to cut some excess fabric off and made just a normal pleat on the side rather than a full boxed one. I was a bit under time pressure as I made it a day before leaving.
I added a dark blue, rather wide “waist”band and decided then that I would prefer an elastic for extra security. Some people might find it slightly inappropriate if I lost the skirt half way through the baptism. So I added an extra wide elastic band and used three hooks for the closure. I wanted to use buttons at first but I was worried that the button holes would tear as I made the elastic rather tight.
I had also bought some orange satin bias binding to put on the hem, or maybe just a bit above. I think that would look lovely. But I asked the colour expert and she said – much to my surprise – “no”. This might have just been the usual contradiction to whatever I suggest but it did leave me so insecure and confused that I decided to leave it for now 🙂
Just look at that beautiful colour matching with the nails, sandals and varicose veins!
Perfect look for swing dancing.
When it comes to altering the skirt for a post pregnancy body I will definitely take it fully apart. That wrong pleat at the side wouldn’t do the quality of the fabric any justice.
I guess, it will go up to my real waist, get a proper zip, probably still a wide waist band to make it look a bit like a big belt and maybe, just maybe an orange line just above the hem. Oh, and i got the tip to do the pleats only in the front and back but leave them out on the side to avoid huge hips. Not that I would need that. And I seriously doubt that I will still remember that when the time comes 🙂