Guess what, Elaine is not alone!
As my children needed new hats, I have also been busy knitting hats. As every previous year it was a bit of trial and error, as I couldn’t find any useful information in my ravelry notes about hats from previous years. Just pictures but nothing about stitch numbers, yarn or needle size used. So, I meant to do it slightly differently this year. And I wrote down all numbers. And made a chart. Only to discover sort of a pattern. And as the kick in the derriere I had already mentioned in my Elaine post was still fresh, I decided to write down this pattern, too and extend it to a range of sizes, one of them I even test knitted for a small baby head. I was too lazy to look for someone older to verify the missing bigger sizes.
Anyway, here comes Frederick – a not so glamorous but warm woolly hat with ear flaps. Just right for the ending season.
You’ll find the pattern on ravelry. It might be a little late for this season but the next winter will be coming at some point so you better get ready soon.
Is it the same? No it is not. As I usually order my yarn online I am often unsure which colour to choose and so I tend to buy too much or too similar colours. Anyway, I really liked the first scarf I made for the shop and decided to make one for myself but I chose the slightly brighter orange and green.
And since I really like diagonal knitting for some reason (which obviously works best for stripy pattern), I went for diagonal stripes this time.
It turned out slightly too narrow I would say, next time I will cast on at least 10 stitches more. (Here is the ravelry project)
But I really love the colours and the stripes and I have already gotten lots of compliments for it.
Ok, that was just a quick post about my latest project but the next post (I am already working on it), will be about something much more creative…. so watch out 🙂
After years of piling up handwritten notes about improvised designs, hoping to type them up one day to publish them on ravelry and then loosing all those notes somewhere in the house (probably under piles of yarn)… I have finally managed to create my first pattern and publish it here
I did not quite know how to chose a name for it so I just took the baby name book that I have used when we were choosing names for our children and just looked at the names starting with A. I might go through the alphabet with my future patterns, although this is the method to name hurricanes, isn’t it.
I wrote the pattern in scribus, a free program that I have used before successfully to create mini newspapers but this time the pdf on screen looks actually a bit funny as all the “l” turn out really bold, something I do not remember from my past experience. Once printed out it looks fine though.
Anyway, I hope I will find all those other notes and publish them as well. I have already found so many nice pattern on ravelry that I also want to give something back to this community.
…. I knitted a cushion cover, wrote down the pattern, lost the pattern, knitted an other one, wrote down the pattern, knitted two more, lost the pattern again, bought matching fabric and zips and got the sewing machine out of its bag.
But then there was never really time to actually sew them together or more urgent things to sew. I can easily knit with children around but the sewing machine with its sharp and fast moving needle is a different matter.
But last weekend I could finally finish them and here they are…..
I have used mercerized cotton, so the knitted part has very clear lines, strong colours and is a bit shiny. Which goes extremely well with a contrasting background. I am really pleased with them. I chose burgundy as a less contrasting colour for the back this time (In the past I usually used the background fabric for the back as well – nice look too)
front and back
I have done another one as well, with Sirdar Smiley Stripes. It’s a bamboo-wool-blend and is actually very soft. As the yarn is multicoloured in itself, I chose a light blue background as a bold background is rather disturbing in my opinion.
It is knitted in garter stitch diagonally from corner to corner with an eyelet square to break those diagonal lines.
I really like diagonal knitting. It is perfect when you want to avoid the gauge swatching and calculating at the beginning. And I do like the look of it too.
So now that those cushion covers are knitted, I will only have to put them in my etsy-shop and also get those patterns finally typed up and on to ravelry. I guess, it won’t take me longer than a couple of weeks to get that done.
Posted in home, Uncategorized
Tagged cotton, craft, cushion, diagonal, eyelet, Knitting, lace, pattern, ravelry, sew